Saturday, January 27, 2007

The Unsung Heroes of 2006

Every year, a number of albums are released that receive very little press and become buried under the heap of critically acclaimed releases. Last year, one of my favorite records, "Following the Tracks, Forcing Motion Through Phases" (Slave Union) by Pyramids, completely flew below the hardcore community's nose. Virtually unknown even among their modern hardcore peers, Pyramids plays the melodic, epic type of screamo practiced by bands like Envy, City of Caterpillar, Amanda Woodward, and Raein. An intertwining vocal attack, ferocious intensity, and crushingly intense melodies all make Pyramids one of my favorite bands of the past few years. I received this album too late to include it in my year end list, but if I revised it, "Following the Tracks" would be at the top. Please give this album a shot if you are at all interested in epic screamo.

Pyramids - Stationed

-Hoang

No comments: