Monday, January 22, 2007

The Northwest

I have been out in Washington visiting relatives and colleges, here is part of my trip:

So, today was the day set aside for visiting Evergreen. more on that later. Anyways, on the way down from Bellingham, we stopped again in Seattle, and I went to the Experience Music Project. The EMP is this giant Frank Gehry designed building, with what one would assume to be a museum inside of it. Alas, there is a museum, but it is tiny, and it costs $15 with AAA dicounts...Everything they had was really cool (they had the body-manequin from the cover of Nirvana's In Utero), but there was not a lot of it. There was only one display case dedicated to Grundge, and one to Punk. They had an entire Jimi Hendrix Gallery, which was really cool. I saw one of the fragments from his Strat that he set on fire at the Monterey Pop Festival. Speaking of guitars, they had parts from a bunch of Kurt's guitars, they had one of Krist Novoselic's Ibanez Jazz Bass copies, Dave Grohl's drum kit, and Kim Thayal's, or however you spell it, Guild SG-like guitars (soundgarden's guitar player). They had two of Mark Arm's fuzz pedals! Anyways, right now I'm in the library at Evergreen. This might be the drug mecca of the world. It's like Bonnaroo on Crystal Meth. Anyways, I really like Evergreen. It comes off as being a big slacker school, but in reality it's not. A lot of the guys here are really driven. The great thing about not having a whole bunch of degrees, is that a student can use any of the college's facilities. I'm particularly interested in the film editing suite, and the studio, where Nirvana and Sleater-Kinney recorded. I'm enjoying myself quite a bit, and chances are, I'll be out here next year, so yeah, I think that's about it. I've remained sober, even though it has been very tempting to indulge myself in such primative fare.

I've recently acquired two Locust 7", both of which are amazing, and early 60's pressing of a Charlie Parker album, and Bob Dylan's John Wesley Harding, all on vinyl. Hell yes. Saturday we went and saw Kurt Cobain's house, and someone is living there...

When I get home, I will yell at Charlie and Hoang to write in this.

-Evan

No comments: