Wednesday, December 20, 2006

Christmas!

Since Christmas is coming soon, I thought it would be appropriate to highlight some Christmas songs.

Darlene Love - Christmas (Baby Please Come Home)
Charlie actually turned me on to this song, because he knows how much I love girl groups (really, I do). I'd heard this song before, but never the original version with Phil Spector's amazing production. He always did his best work with girl groups, and this song (along with a handful of others) shows why. Of course, having Darlene Love on lead vocals certainly helps, but Phil Spector + great vocals always equaled: Great Success!

The Ronettes - Frosty the Snowman and Sleigh Ride
The Ronettes are my favorite girl group of all time. Obviously, the voices behind "Be My Baby", (called the greatest pop record of all time by Brian Wilson, and a personal favorite) should land somewhere near the top. These aren't my favorite songs by Ronnie Spector and the girls, but anything with Ronnie behind the microphone is assured to be golden. She always had that raw edge that Diana Ross and Aretha lacked, but she could still croon like anybody's business. On these two songs she sounds a little bit too childish for my tastes, but Phil Spector's work behind the boards turned these tracks into sugar coated wall-of-sound goodness.

Merry Christmas (in 5 days)
- Hoang

No comments: