Monday, December 18, 2006

Boycott Reptillian Records and Heroine Sheiks, they're assholes.

I was in a band called Heroin Sheiks back in the day, and one day I get this message:

Hello there.
Sorry to be the bearer of bad news, but did you know that there is a New York band called the Heroine Sheiks? That they have three full lenghth CDs since 2000 and some singles, movie sound tracks, etc? Played SXSW and six national tours (they've actually played in Raleigh)?
The name is a registered trademark. Google the name with both spellings, and you'll see what I mean. We consider this to be a copyright infringement and have successfully prosecuted two such cases. We're sure that it is an innocent mistake, but the name is taken.
I would appreciate it if you would respond and let me know what you plan to do about this.

Chris Xavier, Reptilian Records

Naturally, this is something of a shock, me being 15 at the time, and this guy, chris, being a total asshole. I respond accordingly:

by the way, did you know there is a font named "Heroin Sheiks". That's where we got our name. maybe you should go after them as well

(Fun Fact: I later downloaded Cocain Sans, it's a pretty sweet font.)

Douchebag McGillicuty responds as such:

There is also a font called "cocaine sans", perhaps you should rename your band that.

Look, I'm not trying to be a jerk, I'm just letting you know that the name is legally owned by a band that has several releases out and is a nationally touring act. I'm not looking to 'go after' anyone, just to protect the time and money this band has invested in building their reputation.

Which means you need your own name.

Chris X

This is funny because 1) They legally own the "Heroine Sheiks" not "Heroin Sheiks". This may seem like a technicality, and I suppose it is, but under the law, they cannot sue me. I realize this now after taking AP Government and Politics. 2) "Heroine Sheiks" is a shitty band, why should they even spend the time suing a 15 year old when they could be spending the time writing quality songs...

I soon get another message, this time from the actual band, "Heroine Sheiks". I found it rather amusing, because clearly, they are slightly offended by my friend Tim's email to them. I don't think I asked him to, but it is a fairly funny message. Here is his message:

Apr 10, 2006 5:10 PM
Subject: leave heroine sheiks alone
Body: listen you assholes. stop being douchebags and leave my friend's band alone. hes not a big thing and im sure he'll rename his stupid fucking side project if you ask m to. you are just a bunch of corporate assholes trying to make some money off of some high school kid. stop spending some much time being slut bucket 2 dollar cock sucking cum guzzling whores and work on your shitty music, because it is going to need a lot.
YT

ps: blow me

Here is their response:

Dear Tim,
Here's what's going on.Our record label guy(it's an independent label run out of a small record store)had a few people ask him when we noved to North Carolina and gave him an email address if the "Heroin Sheiks".These things happen periodically and are responded to automatically.Nobody is trying to pick on any high school kids.We are called the Heroine Sheiks.This is obviously confusing,as even you misspelled your friends band on your subject line.We have six years invested in the name,with three LP's and toured the country in a shitty little van playing in shitty little clubs.
We have no "personal" knowledge of the Heroin Sheiks or their future intentions,if any.But we have paid to copywrite the name and it is ours-- it is associated with us,whether we suck or we don't doesn't enter into it. If we were just starting out,we would appreciate the warning--why would we want to build on someone elses name and hard work?
Shannon Selberg,
The Heroine Sheiks
NYC

I hope this clears things up.I don't know what Reptilian Records sent you,but he was only doing his job.One dispute we had was with a New Jersey band right across the river and they turned it into a very nasty and personal showdown,and actually tried to steal our gigs,and challenged us to a physical fight.So if he was a little over zealous,that is why.What do you think?
Shannon

The guys name is shannon...I agree with Tim, blow me. Now sue me for libel you assholes.

The greatest moment of this heated conversation is that this guy, or rather, meat head from New York sends us a message. Seriously, this dude is an asshole. The original message, I guess it was deleted or whatever, was something along the lines of "I will drive all the way down to North Carolina and beat you up"..or something like that. Serious asshole. This is his response to my message telling him that he was harrassing us, and need I call the police?

HARRASSING KIDS? IS THIS BAND ALL KIDS? I DIDN'T KNOW THAT. I ALSO DON'T BELEIVE BY LETTING A BAND KNOW THAT THERE IS A BAND WITH THAT SAME NAME OUT THERE ALREADY IS ACTUALLY HARRASSMENT. APPARENTLY YOU HAVE NEVER BEEN HARRASSED BEFORE.
BUT KNOWING THAT THEY ARE ALL KIDS, I DON'T REALLY CARE. THAT MEANS NOTHING TO ME.
JUST LETTING YOU KNOW.

If you should like to actually see what this guy is like, his MySpace is here.

Seriously...Anyways, this was just the inaugural post, and I figured I should atleast start this off on the right foot and smear a bunch of assholes.

-Evan

Thom Yorke- Videotape

2 comments:

Spooky said...

wow what a story!!!
sounds like what I'd expect

Lord Of The Flies said...

The reptilian records' Heroine Sheiks are pretty good noise stuff.